The best books I read in 2017
1. The Daily Stoic: 366 Meditations on Wisdom, Perseverance, and the Art of Living
A daily devotional of stoic insights and exercises featuring new translations from Marcus Aurelius, Seneca, and Epictetus as well as lesser known philosophers like Zeno and Cleanthes; paired with powerful quotes and interesting historical anecdotes.
2. The Truth: An Uncomfortable Book about Relationships
"If The Game taught you how to meet members of the opposite sex, The Truth will teach you how to keep them"
In this long awaited follow up to The Game; Strauss explores questions of attraction, monogamy, alternative commitments, and long term relationships through his own personal experiences. An uncomfortable yet enlightening read for both singles and those in relationships alike.
3. Smartcuts: How Hackers, Innovators, and Icons Accelerate Success
If I never hear the word "hack" again I'll die happy (#siliconvalleyproblems) but I promise you this book adds something new to the conversation. Using modern day examples like SpaceX and Ferrari, Smartcuts uncovers how high growth businesses and other top performers beat the norm.
4. Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind
This book has been recommended by everyone from Bill Gates to Peter Diamandis, and with good reason. While other books in this genre have been too pedantic to finish, Sapiens strikes the perfect balance between educating and entertaining while examining the relationship between biology, history, and mankind's role in the global ecosystem.
5. Money: The Unauthorized Biography
Don't understand Bitcoin? Start here.
6. The Life Changing Magic of Not Giving a F*CK: How to Stop Spending Time You Don't Have with People You Don't Like Doing Things You Don't Want to Do
A self help parody of Marie Kondo's bestseller on the Japanese art of decluttering and a must read for anyone who's ever had a difficult time saying "no".
7. Angel: How to Invest in Technology Startups-Timeless Advice from an Angel Investor who Turned $100,000 into $100,000,00
Sold introduction into early stage investing.
8. Fates and Furies
A fictional account of an enviable marriage told first from the husband's perspective, then from the wife's.
9. Wish Lanterns
A deep dive into the lives of six Chinese Millennials coming of age in a country radically different than that which shaped their elders.
10. The Long Tail
An interesting look at the impact of limitless choice and the rise of niche products.
All of these books and more of my favorite things are available now on my Amazon store which you can shop here. As always, I only recommend products I truly use and love. Happy reading!